Dallas Stars 3 - New York Islanders 2
Is it time to start carving our Richard Bachman statues now? Ok, that's a bit overstated but the young man was huge again, especially in the third period as the Dallas Stars hung on to beat a tough New York Islanders team 3-2. Bachman's agility and movement in net resulted in huge saves as the Isles threw everything including the kitchen at him. Dallas got goals from Loui Eriksson, Brenden Morrow and a game winner from Jamie Benn tonight.
The Stars stopped Matt Moulson tonight, but gave up goals to Michael Grabner and Kyle Okposo. Bachman had a bit of trouble with the Okposo's goal as his shot dribbled past him and Okposo followed up his own rebound to stick the puck in the net. Dallas went into the third period down 2-1 but they scored early in the third to set the tone for the end of the game. Morrow scored a power-play goal one minute in and Benn followed that up with the game winner just three minutes later. Bachman actually made a huge save just before Benn's goal.
Special teams played a huge part in this game as the Stars scored on one power play (they went 1 of 6) and they were perfect on the penalty kill, killing all three of the Isles power-plays. It wasn't the Stars best game, but they did enough to win and that's all you want from this team. They need to just keep winning.
The win puts the Stars in a three game win-streak and they've gotten six out a possible eight points so far on this cross-country road trip. The trip ends tomorrow night when the Stars take on the New Jersey Devils. It's unknown who the starter will be but I hope it's Bachman.
Dallas goes to 18-17-1 (37 pts) after this game while the Isles drop to 9-14-6 (24 pts).
- Bachman is the first Stars goalie in history to win his first three starts in his career.
- Tomas Vincour left in the second period with a lower-body injury.
- Loui Eriksson finally got back onto the scoresheet as he had an assist and a goal tonight. It's his first goal since November 23 (9 games ago) and his first assist since November 28 (6 games ago).
- Vernon Fiddler and Steve Ott were great in the face-off circle. Fiddler won 11 of 15 (73%) while Ott won 13 of 18 (72%).
- Isles goalie Kevin Poulin was pretty good in his first start of the year. He saved 26 of 29 shots and made a few spectacular ones as well.
- 8:36 - Loui Eriksson (11) Dallas 1 - New York 0
Assists: Jamie Benn, Trevor Daley
- 16:38 - Michael Grabner (9) Dallas 1 - New York 1
Assists: Kyle Okposo, Frans Nielsen
- 18:24 - Kyle Okposo (5) Dallas 1 - New York 2
Assists: Marty Reasoner, Travis Hamonic
- 1:07 - Brenden Morrow (5) Dallas 2 - New York 2
Assists: Steve Ott, Mike Ribeiro
- 4:33 - Jamie Benn (8) Dallas 3 - New York 2
Assists: Michael Ryder, Loui Eriksson